Start off with a good quality hot dog, preferably beef, and slather it with a delicious, thick, moderately spiced chili. Add chopped onions, shredded sharp cheddar or crumbled cotija cheese for an ultimate hot dog experience. If you're pressed for time, you can certainly use a good quality canned chili for this recipe.
- 8 large hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns (deli style)
- For Chili:
- 1 1/2 pounds/675 g. ground beef (lean)
- 1 can tomato sauce (plus 1/3 cup/80 mL water)
- 1 bottle beer
- 1 can beans (pinto)
- 1/2 cup/120 mL. onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL. vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL. chili powder
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL. paprika
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL. cumin (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL. oregano (dried)
- 1/2 tablespoon/2.5 mL. salt
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL. black pepper
- 1 jalapeno (seeded and diced)
- For Garnish:
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups/360 mL. cheddar cheese (sharp, shredded, or cotija cheese)
In a large saucepan, heat vegetable oil.
Add 1/2 chopped onion and cook for two to three minutes until translucent.
Add garlic and jalapeno cook for one minute.
Remove onion, garlic, and pepper and place into a bowl.
Add ground beef and cook until well done, about six to eight minutes.
While beef is cooking, open and drain pinto beans.
In either a food processor or with a potato masher, roughly mash beans. This will act as the thickening agent for the chili.
Add mashed beans, onion, garlic, and remaining chili ingredients to a pot.
Turn heat up allow the mixture to bubble up for about one minute.
Reduce heat and simmer for 35 to 45 minutes. Make sure to keep an eye on the chili so that it doesn't burn.
If chili is too thick, add 1/4 cup/60 mL of water at a time to the pot until chili takes on the right consistency.
Once chili is cooked, reduce heat to the lowest setting and keep warm.
Preheat grill for medium heat.
Place hot dog onto grill and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
Once hot dog is cooked (internal temperature of 165 F.), remove from heat.
Place it into a warmed hot dog bun and top with chili, diced onions, and cheese.