This recipe for a thick pizza crust, used to make a deep dish pizza, is easy and classic. Make it in a pizza pan that you can buy at Amazon.com for best results.
The pizza crust isn't necessarily thicker than a regular flat pizza crust, but it is more substantial because it holds a lot more filling. The crust covers the sides of a deep dish pizza pan and must hold a lot of sauce, ingredients such as pepperoni, mushrooms, and sausage, and cheese.
This isn't a difficult recipe to make; just follow the instructions and let the dough rise as directed and you will have a great pizza for dinner.
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast, 1/2 cup flour, and warm water in a bowl and mix well. Cover the bowl and place it in a warm, draft-free place; let rise for 30 minutes. Stir down the batter.
- Add 2 cups flour, salt, and 1 cup of warm water and beat well. Gradually add enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top of the dough so it doesn't dry out during rising. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and roll it into a 16" round. Place in greased 14" round deep dish pizza pan and form a raised edge. Let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
- Then top with desired toppings, such as pizza sauce, pepperoni, cooked sausage, onion, and shredded cheese, and bake in a preheated 425 F oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until the crust is deep golden brown and the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|