Grape salads are almost as popular as bean salads in the summer for a light and cooling lunch or side for a summer barbecue, picnic or potluck. This vegetarian (and almost vegan, if you use agave nectar instead of honey and regular mustard, instead of honey mustard!) three bean and grape salad is made with garbanzo beans, kidney beans, white beans, cucumber and grapes. It's also gluten-free as well. To kick it up a notch, use a gourmet flavored oil in place of regular canola, perhaps something light and a touch fruity, avocado or sunflower oil, and I always recommend cooking with sea salt or kosher salt for the best flavor.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Bush's Beans.
Scroll down for more vegetarian and vegan summer bean salad recipes to try.
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons honey mustard
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 peeled, seeded and diced medium cucumber
- 1 1/2 cups halved green grapes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- First, prepare a dressing by whisking together the red wine vinegar, honey and honey mustard until well combined in a large bowl.Slowly whisk in the canola oil until the dressing is well emulsified.
- Next, gently stir in the green onions, beans, diced cucumber and grapes, lightly tossing together until well coated with the dressing.
- Season the bean and grape salad well with salt and pepper to taste. Sea salt or kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper is always the best (it's the most flavorful), but up to you what kind to use.
- Finally, place your salad in the refrigerator until well chilled. This summery bean and grape salad is best served chilled. For presentation, you could place it atop a plate of romaine or butter lettuce leaves.
- Makes ten servings as a side dish, but if you were serving it at a luncheon as more of a main, then count on it serving around six.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||35 g|