|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 10 to 12|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||4%|
|Total Carbohydrate 104g||38%|
|Dietary Fiber 27g||97%|
|Total Sugars 12g|
|Vitamin C 17mg||85%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This three-bean salad is the kind of dish that people love at family reunions, potluck dinners, and cookouts. It's that salad that you keep chilled in a cooler and take along to a tailgating party or picnic. It's a combination of several different kinds of beans, and it's versatile and adaptable. The vinaigrette is a simple combination of oil and apple cider vinegar, along with some salt, pepper, and sugar.
It can be difficult to find yellow wax beans in some areas. Consider buying them fresh in season from farmers markets and freeze them. Use more green beans, canned lima beans, or another vegetable in their place. Fresh beans taste the best but canned will work, too.
Chickpeas are another good bean to add to the salad. They add a crunchy texture. See the tips and variations below the recipe for more add-ins and serving ideas.
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cut green beans
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cut yellow wax beans
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can red kidney beans, or white beans
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper, or. multiple colors
1/2 red onion, sliced, about 1 cup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Steps to Make It
Drain the canned green and yellow beans in a colander; transfer them to a large serving bowl.
Drain the kidney beans in a colander; run cold water over them until it runs clear. Add the kidney beans to the bowl with the green and yellow beans.
Remove the stem and seeds from the bell pepper and chop it. Peel the red onion and slice it thinly. Add the bell pepper and onion to the beans.
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, and pepper; whisk until smooth. Pour the dressing mixture over the vegetables and then toss gently to coat.
Toss the salad until the ingredients are thoroughly coated with the dressing. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
Toss again just before serving.
- Three Bean Salad With Green Onions - Replace the red onion with 1/4 cup of sliced green onions.
- Bean and Cauliflower Salad - Omit the yellow wax beans. Cut florets from 1/2 of a medium head of cauliflower and add them to the salad with the beans.
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of drained pimiento to the salad along with the bell peppers.
- Four Bean Salad - Add chickpeas, black beans, or white kidney beans to the salad.
- Garnish the bean salad with hard-boiled egg slices, diced tomatoes, fresh chopped parsley, crumbled bacon, or sliced pepper rings.
- Serve the salad on romaine lettuce leaves with tomato wedges or avocado slices.