|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 151g||55%|
|Dietary Fiber 38g||136%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Three bean soup with vegetables and pasta. Is it a bean soup? A vegetable soup? A noodle soup? Yes, yes, and yes! This super delicious bean soup with vegetables and pasta is all three, and, it's low in fat while still providing so many healthy vegetables and some protein too. Perfect! No need to soak the beans, as this recipe uses canned black beans, garbanzo beans, and kidney beans. There is a good assortment of veggies and spices, and you could easily switch up the beans if there are others you prefer to use. Very versatile and hearty, this soup is also vegetarian.
This bean soup recipe makes quite a bit, so make sure you have room in your freezer or refrigerator for the extra leftovers, or invite the neighbors over for dinner.
Serve it with some crusty homemade French bread and a fresh green salad.
- 3 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup dry pasta, penne or rotini
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Pepper, to taste
Gather the ingredients.
In a large soup or stockpot, combine everything—vegetable stock, tomatoes, black beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, carrots, celery, onion, green and red peppers, garlic, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and basil—except pasta, vinegar, and black pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered until carrots are tender-crisp, stirring occasionally.
Add pasta and cook until tender, about 10 more minutes.
Stir in vinegar and season with pepper.
- Use another combination of three beans, for instance, garbanzo, kidney, and cannellini beans. Change it up however you prefer. Some other beans you could use are navy, lima, lentils, pinto, split peas, or pigeon peas.
- Add in a bay leaf for extra flavor. Just remove it before serving.
How to Store and Freeze Soup
Make sure the soup is cooled down before storing it in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Place the soup in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator where it can be kept for three to four days.
- Soup can be frozen for up to three months. Use freezer-safe containers or freezer bags with the excess air pressed out and place in the freezer. Put in individual serving amounts for a quick and easy lunch or dinner. When ready to use, simply thaw out overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in a saucepan on medium-low, until warm, stirring frequently.