|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The "three wise men" of whiskey are Johnnie Walker, Jim Beam, and Jack Daniels who, in this case, mix together for a very strong shot of whiskey. This is a popular shot and there are a few ways to shake it up.
It seems odd to combine three whiskeys into the same shot. This is definitely one of those "why did they do that?" scenarios that are so common in the bar. And yet, it works surprisingly well. In a single shot, you get to taste sort of hybrid whiskey: a little scotch, a hint of bourbon, and a touch of Tennessee whiskey. The trio comes together in a fascinating way and it's worth experiencing them together, even if it's just one time.
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the three whiskeys.
Serve and enjoy.
- If you want a trio of whiskey shots in order to "enjoy" each whiskey on its own, pour them into separate shot glasses. Line up the shots in front of you and work your way down the row. While this is a fun bar game, it's undiluted and you will get drunk very fast so it's best to fill the glasses only one-third of the way.
- On the other hand, you can take it nice and easy and skip the shot. Instead, combine the three whiskeys in an old-fashioned glass filled with ice. Stir well and enjoy the hybrid whiskey as a slow sipper.
- To make a drink called "three wise men go hunting," add 1/2 ounce Wild Turkey Bourbon.
- For the "three wise men visit Mexico," add 1/2 ounce Jose Cuervo Gold Tequila. This one can also "go hunting" with Wild Turkey; pour 1/3 ounce of each liquor.
- The four horsemen shot adds Jameson Irish Whiskey to the three wise men.
Why Is the Shot Called the Three Wise Men?
When it comes to the liquor in any mixed drink, the typical advice is to "choose your favorite." This shot is an exception because the specific brands of whiskey are what makes the shot special. These are three iconic whiskeys named after men who played a role in making whiskey famous. Without these so-called "wise men," the world of whiskey may look completely different than it does today. You could say that this shot is a tribute to their collective legacy.
The one exception in brand recommendations is with the three wise men visit Mexico. While Jose Cuervo Gold once dominated the tequila scene, particularly in American bars, this is no longer the case. There are many great tequilas available today, so don't hesitate to pour a different brand of tequila.
How Strong Is a Three Wise Men Shot?
While it is made entirely of whiskey, this shot is shaken and that brings it down from the standard bottling proof of each whiskey. It is still very potent and one of the stronger shots you will find, weighing in with an alcohol content of 30 percent ABV (60 proof). If you choose to skip the shaker, the shot will be full bottling strength; for these whiskeys, that's 80-proof. One or two shots of whiskey can get most people drunk, especially if your night includes other alcoholic drinks.