This baked tilapia recipe makes a nutritious and delicious meal, and it is an incredibly fast and easy preparation. Tilapia cooks quickly because the fillets are quite thin. It's a mild white fish, so it takes its flavor from the topping, sauce, or garnish. This version combines a fresh buttery crumb topping with a small amount of basil. Feel free to toss a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese with the breadcrumbs for rich flavor. Or, if you want a lighter topping, cut the butter down to 2 tablespoons.
For side dishes, choose roasted or baked potatoes or rice. Green beans or broccoli are good choices for their vivid green color or serve the fish with carrots or steamed peas.
- 4 tilapia fillets (about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup bread crumbs (soft fresh)
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon basil (dried leaf)
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Butter a large, shallow baking dish.
- Arrange the tilapia fillets on the prepared baking pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Combine the butter with remaining seasonings and toss with the breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the crumbs over the tilapia fillets.
- Bake the fish fillets for 12 to 15 minutes, or until fish is cooked through. To brown the topping, broil for about 1 minute, or until the crumbs are lightly browned.
- The fsh will flake easily with a fork when done. The minimum safe temperature for fish is 145 F.
- Using a spatula, carefully transfer the tilapia fillets to plates or a serving platter.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|