Phyllo dough has become increasingly popular for all kinds of cooking. It's low-fat or fat-free and is often used to replace higher-fat crusts. When planning to use this wafer-thin dough, consider these helpful details:
- Phyllo sheets are generally sold in one-pound packages.
- Phyllo is sold in different thicknesses and shapes.
- Phyllo for pastries is very thin, used for delicate pastries like baklava, and rolled pastries. Each one-pound box contains approximately 24 sheets.
- Country phyllo contains around eight sheets per one-pound box and is more suited to small baked savory and cheese-filled pies.
- Phyllo puff pastry (Sfoliata) comes packaged two sheets to the one-pound box and can be used as-is, or rolled out to meet recipe needs.
- The size of the phyllo sheets can be 18" x 14" but it is also sold in other sizes, and can easily be cut to fit your recipe.
- Phyllo can be made and bought fresh (never been frozen) at many Greek and Middle Eastern markets, and it is available in frozen form at most large markets.
- Phyllo is also sold in different shapes (pastry cups, etc.), which allows it to be used straight from the package without any special cutting or trimming.
- Check production and expiration dates. Look for the freshest.
Be sure to check the packaging or ask your grocer if in doubt. With phyllo dough, you can make wonderful recipes like Tiropita and Spanakopita!
Kataïfi dough is shredded phyllo. It is sold in 1 lb. packages, and will make 18 to 24 rolls of kataïfi pastries, a delicious treat.