Let’s face it. Rice is boring. Which is why you need to try this toasted cashew rice recipe immediately. While toasted creamy-yet-crunchy cashews play hide-and-seek throughout this entire rice dish, the flavors will be all up in your “grill”. Seriously, with the use of bay leaves, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, and garlic, you will not be surprised at the way this simple side dish brings life to an entire meal.
Bay leaf brings an herby element to the otherwise bitter and savory spices and as a finishing taste, cinnamon is present to remind us of all the goodness in life. That isn’t all though, fresh herbs are also sprinkled on top to really get our palate excited.
My absolute favorite part of this recipe, though? The grated coconut. While spices are coming at you at every angle, there are also texture at play with the use of the cashews, peas, onion, and last but not least, shredded coconut. It has somewhat of a squeaky crunch and a sweetness that puts this dish over the top.
This Toasted Cashew Rice can be served as a warm side dish or served cold as a potluck oddity. Don’t like shredded coconut (or coconut in general), forget the shredded coconut and mix in some golden raisins to the finished rice. Mmm!
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup salted and toasted cashews
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
- bay leaf
- 1 rhizome fresh ginger
- cinnamon stick
- 2 green
- cardamom pods
- Start by rinsing your rice. This allows the extra starch to be removed and makes for a less sticky rice.
- Next, fill a large pot approximately half full of water. Pour in the rinsed rice and put on medium-high heat. Bring the rice to a boil uncovered and boil for approximately 12 minutes.
- Strain the rice and transfer to a medium-sized skillet. Place on medium-high heat and pour in 1 of the 2 cups of chicken broth. Add all spices as well as the garlic, onion, and peas and stir into the rice, carefully as to not break the bay leaf.
- When all broth has been soaked into rice, add the remaining cup of chicken broth.
- Remove whole spices such as bay leaf, ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon stick. Remove from heat and allow to cool approximately 5 minutes.
- Using a spatula, fold in the sweetened shredded coconut and cashews into the rice. Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy!
Note: This would also be the step to add the golden raisins or slivered almonds, etc. if desired instead or in addition to shredded coconut.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|