Crunchy, sweet toasted coconut and semi-sweet chocolate combine in this simple recipe for Toasted Coconut Bark. It’s amazing how two ingredients and 15 minutes can produce such a sophisticated, tasty treat!
- 12 oz chocolate (semi-sweet, chopped)
- 3 cups coconut (sweetened, shredded)
1. Begin by toasting the coconut: preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the coconut out on a rimmed baking sheet, and toast it in the oven until golden brown, stirring after every 3-4 minutes to prevent burning. The toasting process will probably take about 15 minutes to get the coconut thoroughly brown. Once toasted, set it aside to cool.
2. While the coconut cools, temper the semi-sweet chocolate by following these instructions.
If you decide not to temper the chocolate, just know that it might become soft at warm temperatures and will lose the “snap” and gloss that characterize tempered chocolate.
3. Once the chocolate is tempered and the coconut is cool, stir one cup of the toasted coconut into the chocolate and stir until it is well-distributed.
4. Pour the chocolate onto a foil- or wax paper-covered baking sheet, and spread it into a thin layer about 1/4-inch thick.
5. Generously sprinkle the remaining 2 cups of toasted coconut all over the top of the bark, covering all of the chocolate and pressing it down gently to adhere it to the chocolate.
6. Allow the chocolate to set at room temperature, or refrigerate it for 10 minutes to speed up the process. Once set, break the Toasted Coconut Bark into small pieces to serve. Toasted Coconut Bark can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|