These buttery brown toasted coconut cookies are made with the addition of toasted coconut.
- 3/4 cup/6 ounces butter
- 1 cup sugar (brown, firmly packed)
- 1 medium egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose, sifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut (grated, toasted*)
- To toast the coconut, put the coconut in a large, dry skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring and constantly turning until the coconut is lightly browned.
- Alternatively, spread coconut in shallow pan. Bake at 350 F for about 10 to 15 minutes, frequently stirring until lightly browned.
- Cream butter in mixing bowl with electric mixer until light; gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat egg and vanilla into the butter mixture.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; add coconut. Combine the creamed mixture with dry ingredients, kneading with hands until the mixture is moistened and holds together. Chill in refrigerator for about 20 to 30 minutes, until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll portions of dough out to about 1/8-inch thickness and cut out with floured cookie cutters or cut into rounds.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 350 F for 10 to 14 minutes, or until edges are browned, and cookies are done. Loosen with a spatula right away then let cookies cool in pans.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|