This toasted walnut cake filling recipe is a unique and delicious icing to use in any vanilla, chocolate or almond layer cake.
Toasting nuts brings out all their good qualities. But there's a trick to toasting nuts so they don't burn. Read about how to toast nuts below to make sure you don't have any mishaps. This filling is too good to spoil with over-browned nuts.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large room-temperature egg yolk, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
Combine brown sugar, salt, butter, and water in top of double boiler and heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour over egg yolk, return to double boiler, and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Cool. Add walnuts. Spread between layers. Makes enough filling to spread between two 8-inch layers.
How to Toast Nuts
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Spread nuts out in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake, stirring occasionally. The length of time will depend on the nut being toasted. Walnuts and pecans, for example, typically take 10 to 15 minutes while hazelnuts and macadamia nuts take 12 to 15 minutes. Sliced almonds take 7 minutes and whole almonds need to toast for 10 minutes. Pine nuts toast in 5 minutes and bear close watching because they can go from golden to black in seconds.
- Alternatively, toast nuts in an ungreased skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden brown and aromatic.
- If your recipe calls for chopped toasted nuts, make sure they have cooled completely before chopping.
More Ways to Fill Layer Cakes
- Pineapple Filling Recipe: This tropical-tasting filling is made with thickened crushed pineapple, cream cheese, egg yolk and lemon juice. This is the perfect foil for a coconut layer cake or breakfast pastry.
- Cherry Filling Recipe: The same filling used to make cherry pie can be used to fill the layers of a multi-tiered cake.
- Date Filling Recipe: This date filling is equally at home in a hand pie as it is between the layers of a moist cake.
- Cream Filling Recipe: This is essentially a Bavarian cream filling made super easy with instant vanilla pudding and cold milk.
- Coconut Filling Recipe: Here's another tropical-tasting filling made with frozen coconut, evaporated milk, marshmallows, and sugar. When combined with chocolate cake and a ganache topping, it attempts to replicate the flavor of a Mounds candy bar.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|