This banana pie is an easy dessert to make with a homemade or purchased graham cracker crust. No baking is required for this pie, but it does take some time to make the caramel on the stovetop or in the oven.
Use crumbled chocolate-covered toffee bars or toffee bits in this pie. Some of the candy goes into the filling, but save a few tablespoons for topping.
The caramel takes at least 1 1/2 hours simmering time, and plan to give the pie several hours in the refrigerator to chill thoroughly before serving.
- 4 cans (14 ounces each) sweetened condensed milk*
- 2 graham cracker crusts, homemade or purchased
- 4 bananas, ripe but firm
- 2 cups whipping cream, chilled (see variations and tips, below)
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 chocolate-covered toffee candy bars(about 1 1/2 ounces each) crushed or chopped (Heath, Skor, etc.)**
Boiling the sealed cans in water to make caramel can be hazardous as well as messy, so it is NOT recommended. Here are some alternatives:
- Stovetop Pour the sweetened condensed milk into the top pan of a double boiler; place over boiling water. Reduce the heat to low and keep the water at a simmer. Cook over the simmering water for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until thick and caramel-colored. Beat the caramel until smooth.
- Oven Pour sweetened condensed milk into a 9-inch pie plate (you will need two pie plates if using 4 cans). Cover with aluminum foil and place in larger shallow pan. Fill the larger pan with about 1/2-inch of hot water. Bake at 425° for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until thick and caramel-colored.
- Cool the caramel before using.
- Peel and slice the bananas.
- Layer most of the slices in the prepared crusts, reserving several slices for the top of the pie.
- Add most of the chopped toffee candy, reserving a few tablespoons for garnish.
- Pour the caramelized sweetened condensed milk over bananas.
- In a medium bowl, beat the chilled whipping cream until thickened. Sift the confectioners' sugar into the cream and add the vanilla extract. Continue beating to stiff peaks.
- Top with the whipped cream (or whipped topping, see below) and garnish with the reserved banana slices and toffee candy pieces.
Refrigerate for several hours before serving.
*Four cans of sweetened condensed milk for the two pies makes a thick filling. Feel free to add an extra banana or two to each pie and cut the filling down to 2 cans.
**Use about 3/4 to 1 cup of milk chocolate toffee bits (available in the baking section) to replace the crushed candy bars.
Variations and Tips
Use 1 large container (16 ounces) of frozen whipped topping (thawed) and omit the whipping cream, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|