Whether you're a strict vegetarian or you are simply looking for more meatless meal alternatives, this buffalo tofu "hot wings" recipe can definitely become a new favorite.
If you're vegetarian and miss wings, or if you just want to enjoy the heat from the spices without all of the fat and cholesterol of traditional chicken wings, this tofu version will satisfy your cravings. Hot wing sauce typically includes hot sauce, butter, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and salt. In this recipe, just substitute vegan margarine instead of butter to attain the same delicious, glaze-like sauce that goes on traditional wings.
- 1 16-ounce block tofu, well-pressed
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 to 2 tbsp. oil for pan-frying
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine or vegan butter substitute
- 1/3 cup hot wing sauce, or any kind of hot sauce you like
- Once your tofu has been well-pressed, you can slice it into thin "finger" shapes, slabs, cubes, or whatever shape you like best.
- In a shallow pan or a zip-closing plastic bag, combine the cornstarch, garlic salt, mustard powder and black pepper. Carefully add the tofu, gently tossing to make sure that all sides of the tofu are well coated with the cornstarch mixture.
- Heat the oil in a saute pan or skillet over medium heat, using a non-stick pan if you have it to reduce the amount of oil needed. Add tofu and pan-fry on all sides just until it is just lightly golden brown. Once the tofu has cooked, remove it from the pan and set it aside.
- Using the same pan (or a different one, your choice), heat the vegan margarine or butter substitute over very low heat. Once it is melted, add in the wing sauce, stirring just until combined well. Add the cooked tofu, gently turning to coat well on all sides with the wing sauce mixture.
- Once that is completely heated, you can take the tofu off of the stovetop heat and serve it while it is warm.
- Serve with some vegan ranch dressing if you'd like.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|