This tofu marinade does double duty as a marinade and sauce. Dry frying the tofu removes all the moisture, enabling it to soak up the flavors of the marinade. The recipe goes nicely with 1 pound of firm or extra firm tofu and is designed to have extra marinade to add to the stir-fry at the end to make a sauce.
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu (cut into triangles and dry-fried)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, light and dark soy sauce, Asian sesame oil, sugar, chili paste, garlic and olive oil.
- Cover and refrigerate while preparing and dry frying the tofu.
- Place the marinade into a large bowl or large resealable plastic bag. Add the dry-fried tofu pieces.
- Cover bowl or seal bag and refrigerate overnight, stirring occasionally to make sure all the tofu pieces are covered.
- Drain the tofu, reserving the tofu marinade to use as a sauce at the end of stir-frying. Thicken with a cornstarch/water slurry if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||28 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|