|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||3%|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||9%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Layers of seasoned fresh sliced tomatoes, sliced onions, and cheddar cheese make up this tasty baked tomato casserole. Buttery panko crumbs are the perfect, crunchy finish. Feel free to use shredded cheddar cheese, fontina cheese, or mozzarella cheese in the recipe. Or use slices of American cheese or Velveeta.
- 4 ripe tomatoes (medium)
- 4 onions (small)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (or 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or about 6 slices of American cheese, sliced into halves)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
Slice the tomatoes thinly. Peel the onions and cut in half; slice them thinly.
Put the onion in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for 10 minutes; drain.
In the prepared casserole, layer half of the tomatoes and half of the onions. Sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper, and basil. Top with half of the cheese. Repeat the layers.
In a bowl, combine the panko crumbs with the melted butter; sprinkle over top of the casserole.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the tomatoes are tender and the topping is golden brown.
- Feel free to cut back on the onions or add another vegetable instead.
- Sautéed mushrooms would make an excellent addition.
- Add a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese to the panko crumbs, if you like.