|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Feel free to use white or brown rice in the soup, or make it with cauliflower rice to lower the carbs. Cooked bulgur or small pasta, such as orzo or alphabets, may be used as well.
Gather the ingredients.
In a large saucepan, combine the crushed tomatoes with the water or stock, celery, parsley, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. At this point, if you want a smoother soup, process it in batches in a blender or food processor.
Add the cooked rice and lower the heat to medium-low.
Cook for about 5 minutes, or until hot and bubbling.
Remove the bay leaf.
Serve tomato soup with saltine crackers or crusty bread.
How Can You Make Tomato Soup Less Acidic?
To neutralize the tomatoes' acid taste, add about 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda for each quart of tomato soup.
What Is the Difference Between Tomato Soup and Tomato Bisque?
Tomato soup is usually a smooth mx
How to Store and Freeze
- Refrigerate leftover soup in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Freeze the soup in serving-size portions for up to 3 months.
- Replace the crushed tomatoes with two 14.5-ounce cans of whole peeled tomatoes, crushed with your hands or a masher.
- For creamy tomato soup, add 1/2 to 1 cup of heavy cream along with the rice.
- For Italian flavor, add 1/2 teaspoon each oregano and basil (dried) and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder with the salt and pepper. Serve with Parmesan cheese for sprinkling.
Use Caution When Blending Hot Ingredients
Steam expands quickly in a blender, and can cause ingredients to splatter everywhere or cause burns. To prevent this, fill the blender only one-third of the way up, vent the top, and cover with a folded kitchen towel while blending.