|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This tomato soup is ridiculously easy to fix with crushed canned tomatoes, a few chopped vegetables, and some rice. Enjoy this soup with a grilled cheese sandwich for a comforting lunch or dinner.
- 2 cans tomatoes (14.5 ounces each, or 1-quart canned tomatoes, crushed)
- 2 cups water (or chicken broth)
- 1/4 cup celery (with leaves, chopped)
- Chopped fresh parsley to taste
- 1/2 bay leaf (crumbled)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup rice (long grain, uncooked)
In a large saucepan, combine the crushed tomatoes with the water or stock, celery, parsley, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
Add the rice and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
Remove the bay leaf and serve with crackers or crusty bread.