I fully confess to loving anything wrapped in pastry. Sweet, savory, a little of both - all fine with me if it's wrapped in either homemade dough, store bought puff pastry sheets or crispy, crunchy fillo sheets. I wouldn't last long on a carb free diet, OK?
One thing I really like about working with fillo is how quickly and easily I can make a tart. Yes, it seems intimidating and I thought so too when I first started. But once I accepted that it's meant to break and crumble and be imperfect, I realized how simple it is. Just brush each layer with oil or butter, fill it with delicious things and bake.
I found some beautiful multi-colored cherry tomatoes in the market and knew I wanted to roast them with some za'atar. So why not go ahead and turn it into a tart. The feta cream is easy to make in a little food processor and although it's crazy salty on it's own, it balances perfectly with the sweet tomatoes. Enjoy!
Note that if you're using frozen fillo pastry sheets, place them in the refrigerator overnight to thaw.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the feta cheese, cream cheese, za'atar and dried oregano to a food processor along with one tablespoon of the milk. Puree until smooth, adding an additional tablespoon of milk if needed to get a creamy texture. Note that the mixture will be quite salty but it will also provide the seasoning for the pastry and tomatoes.
- Gently brush a layer of fillo pastry with the melted butter or olive oil, top with another layer and repeat until all the layers are done.
- Spread the feta cheese mixture over the top layer of fillo, leaving about a 1 1/2" border on all sides. Slice or quarter the tomatoes, depending on their size, and spread on top of the feta cheese mixture. Fold up the sides of the filo to create a rectangular tart with an edge. Make sure to brush any exposed dough with some of the melted butter or olive oil.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 45 minutes or until the pastry is a light golden brown. Finish by topping with the chopped fresh parsley.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|