|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 12g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 12g|
|Vitamin C 8mg||39%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The Tootsie Roll is one of those shooters that adults create in an attempt to recreate favorite childhood treats. There are a number of ways to make the drink, and they all are pretty close to replicating the taste of the Tootsie Roll candy.
As far as shots go, the Tootsie Roll is a delicious drink and it is easy to have one too many if you're not careful. The recipes vary quite a bit, though many include chocolate and coffee liqueurs with a hint of orange flavor for that authentic Tootsie Roll taste. Other recipes skip the citrus and focus on the chocolate, add nutty liqueurs, or use vodka for an extra kick. All of the variations are made the same way and with the array of ingredients they use, it's a lot of fun to try a few to see which Tootsie Roll you like best.
1/2 ounce crème de cacao liqueur
1/2 ounce coffee liqueur
1/2 ounce orange juice
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the liqueurs and orange juice.
Serve and enjoy!
- For an old-school Tootsie Roll shot that skips the chocolate, shake 1/2 ounce each of vodka, coffee liqueur, and orange juice. Or, skip the vodka and combine 1 ounce each of coffee liqueur and orange juice.
- Use orange curaçao or triple sec in place of the orange juice in any Tootsie Roll variation.
- Skip the orange completely and mix 1/2 ounce each of vodka, crème de cacao, and amaretto.
- Another orange-free mix shakes 1/2 ounce each of coffee liqueur, crème de cacao, and hazelnut liqueur (e.g., Frangelico).
- Make a Tootsie Roll with chocolate vodka: Shake 2/3 ounce chocolate vodka, 1/3 ounce amaretto, and a squeeze of chocolate syrup.
- For another flavored vodka twist, shake 3/4 ounces each of espresso vodka and chocolate liqueur with a splash of orange liqueur or juice.
- Double any of these and strain the drink into a chilled cocktail glass for a Tootsie Roll martini, or serve it on the rocks in an old-fashioned glass. It's even yummier with a sugar-coated rim.
- Crème de cacao comes in dark and white (clear) varieties. Both work well in any Tootsie Roll shot, though the dark version helps counteract the orange juice so the drink looks more like the candy. Other chocolate liqueurs can be used; creamier options like Godiva will change the drink's appearance, texture, and richness.
- For the coffee liqueur, Kahlua is commonly poured in this shot, primarily because it's the most popular. There are many other options and you might find that you enjoy another brand for this and other drinks.
How Strong Are Tootsie Roll Shots?
The Tootsie Roll can be a mild shooter. When used, the orange juice does a good job of taming down the alcohol, so the coffee-chocolate liqueur shot weighs in around 11 percent ABV (22 proof). On the other hand, the chocolate vodka version doubles that, falling in the 23 percent ABV (46 proof) range.