There are many causes of obesity and weight gain, and some even differ between men and women, and ethnic groups! Obesity and weight gain are at epidemic proportions, especially in the US, where one in three children is obese, and nearly 60% of the adult population! Women are more likely to experience weight gain due to their slower metabolism.
Obesity is most often caused by a lack of exercise, overeating, or eating foods too rich in calories and saturated fats. Obesity is also linked to genetics, chronic lack of sleep, stress, anger, and depression, some medications, diabetes, lupus, an overactive thyroid and chronic pain.
Best Fruits & Veggies for Weight Loss
Loading up on fruits and veggies low in calories and high in fiber can significantly help with weight loss. Foods that are low in calories and fat and rich in fiber such as fresh fruits and vegetables are the first lines of defense against weight gain.
Fiber not only helps fill us up quickly and maintain a sense of fullness longer but also assists the digestive system by cleansing it, reducing constipation and removing harmful toxins from the body.
- Think citrus, in particular, grapefruit! Grapefruit is rich in fiber and low in calories. It also provides an abundance of vitamin C.
- Berries are a particularly healthy way to manage weight. Raspberries and strawberries are low in calories and rich in fiber. They’re being studied for their rich content of the phytonutrients ketone and rheosmin which assist in weight loss by increasing our metabolism.
- Apples are rich in polyphenols which regulate blood sugar and lower fat levels in the blood.
- Bell peppers are an especially healthful veggie in the fight to lose and sustain a healthy weight in particular due to their ability to control hunger and fight depression.
- Mushrooms are real fat burners. The fiber content alone goes a long way toward fighting obesity. They are an excellent resource of selenium which fights depression, a leading cause of obesity and weight gain.