Torta Maria Luisa is an elegant layer cake that is popular in Colombia as well as in El Salvador. The cake is flavored with citrus (typically orange), and layered with fruit jam, and sometimes also with arequipe ( dulce de leche).
The cake is decorated simply with a sprinkle of powdered sugar. The citrus flavor and simple style of this pretty cake make it a great addition to a brunch menu or enjoy a slice with your afternoon coffee (merienda). If you prefer cakes with frosting, try this fancy version of torts Maria Luisa with strawberries and pineapple.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lime
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup seedless jam (raspberry, strawberry, or orange marmalade)
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche (optional)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (for sprinkling over top of cake)
- Place the orange juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 8-inch baking pans, and line the bottom of pans with parchment paper or wax paper.
- In a standing mixer, beat butter with sugar until fluffy and well mixed.
- Add eggs one at a time to the butter/sugar mixture, beating well after each.
- Whisk the flour, salt, lime zest and baking powder together. Stir the buttermilk and the vanilla into the reserved orange juice. Add the dry ingredients to batter alternately with the liquids until just mixed.
- Divide batter between the 2 pans.
- Bake cakes until they spring back lightly when just touched, and A toothpick placed in center comes back clean.
- Cool the cakes on a rack.
- Heat the jam gently in the microwave until it has a spreading consistency.
- Remove the cakes from pans. (If using dulce de leche, split each cake in half horizontally and spread the dulce de leche between the two halves, then place them back together again). Place one cake layer on the serving plate, and spread the jam over the cake. Top with the second cake layer. Dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|