- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion (onion)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 10-ounce packages of spinach (frozen, thawed and drained)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 package frozen puff pastry sheets (thawed or one recipe
- empanada dough or pastry dough for pasteles)
- Egg wash: 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Sauté onion and garlic in the butter until soft and slightly golden. Add salt and nutmeg.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 3-5 minutes more.
- Add spinach and cook for one minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Mix ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan and 2 eggs in a large bowl.
- Add cooled spinach mixture to the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out one of the pastry sheets in a circle about 14 inches in diameter (or roll out half of the empanada dough or pastel pastry in the same way).
- Drape pastry over a buttered 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, pressing pastry into bottom and sides of the pan.
- Fill tart with spinach/cheese mixture.
- Cut the hard-boiled eggs in half. Press them into filling, spacing them evenly.
- Roll out other piece of puff pastry (or other half of the empanada dough) into a 9-inch circle, and place on top of the tart. Seal edges together and crimp with a fork.
- Brush tart with the egg wash. Use a fork to prick a few holes in the top of the tart as vents.
- Place tart in the oven, lower temperature to 350 degrees, and bake for one hour. If tart is browning too quickly, you can cover the tart with foil loosely.
- Cool in pan for 30 minutes before lifting tart (with the removable bottom) out of the tart pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|