I think that tortellini is one of my favorite convenience foods. It's always in my freezer, it's easy to cook, and the results are simply spectacular. It's much easier to just cook frozen tortellini for three minutes than to boil pasta for 8-10, constantly checking for that elusive "al dente" doneness point. And in the summer, I make lots of tortellini salad recipes.
Tortellini comes in several varieties. Dried tortellini is found in the pasta aisle. Refrigerated tortellini is usually displayed near dairy products such as cheese and yogurt. And frozen tortellini is found in the freezer department. Frozen is my favorite. It also comes in several flavors: plain cheese, chicken, and fabulous variations on sausage, pesto, and sun dried tomato. And it won't go bad on you!
This pasta is super easy to cook. I recommend the frozen variety, because all you really have to do is reheat it. Add the tortellini to boiling water and after three minutes, when all the little guys are floating, they're done. Taste one to make sure it's hot. Then add to these delicious salad recipes.
Tortellini Salad Recipes
- Black Bean and Tortellini Salad: A smooth and suave mustard dressing coats black beans, tortellini, Havarti cheese, and veggies in this delicious recipe. I make this all the time in the summer.
- Cabbage Tortellini Salad: This salad started from an ingredient disaster! The spinach I had purchased for Seven Layer Salad had wilted very quickly, so this salad was born. It's fabulous.
- Seven Layer Salad: If your spinach stays fresh longer, I highly recommend this salad as a great way to use tortellini. Dill weed, feta cheese, lots of bacon, and red cabbage are layered with tortellini and spinach.
- Tortellini Broccoli Salad: Bacon and a sweet salad dressing add great texture and flavor to this easy salad. This is one of my new favorites.
- Chicken Tortellini Salad: Balsamic vinaigrette and honey mustard may sound like and odd pair, but when combined as the dressing for this salad, the flavor is fantastic.
- Spinach Tortellini Salad: Just four ingredients combine to make this excellent salad that starts with deli tortellini salad.
- Chicken Pesto Tortellini Salad: Did you think I could create a collection of tortellini salads without using pesto? This is my favorite tortellini salad, hands down.
- Ham Tortellini Caesar Salad: Just six ingredients make this flavorful and beautiful salad a snap.
- Tortellini and Fresh Corn Salad: When corn on the cob is in season, this salad is a must. Fresh basil, ranch dressing, edamame, and feta cheese turn this tortellini salad into a gourmet delight.
- Tortellini Vegetable Salad: A five ingredient recipe! Marinated artichoke hearts and Italian salad dressing turn tortellini and some veggies into a fabulous and fast main dish salad.
- Tex Mex Tortellini Salad: Taco sauce adds flavor and color to the dressing of this fresh and spicy salad. Use your favorite Tex Mex ingredients; I prefer black beans, corn, and bell peppers.