When is a Bakewell Tart not a Bakewell Tart is a question often asked? When it is a Bakewell Pudding. I can say that even in Bakewell, the town of origin for the tart and pudding, opinion is divided and no doubt whatever I say, someone will argue it is the other. One of the easiest ways to differentiate is a Bakewell Pudding is made with puff pastry and the Bakewell Tart, shortcrust.
Bakewell is in the picturesque Peak District of Derbyshire. Throughout the town there are Bakewell Tart, or Bakewell Pudding shops, all claiming to be the one and the original. It's quite funny.
It is so easy to make a Bakewell pudding. The pudding makes a delicious dessert and though it can be eaten as an afternoon treat, usually that will be a Bakewell Tart. Serve the pudding hot or slightly warm to enjoy the full almondy flavour.
Note: The filling of this tart contains no flour instead uses ground almonds.
- 1lb. 2 oz./500g. puff pastry (shop bought is fine or if you have time ... Puff Pastry from Scratch)
- 3 tbsp, jam (raspberry)
- 1 1/2 sticks/150g. butter
- 3/4 cup/50g. sugar (super fine/caster)
- 3 medium eggs (beaten)
- 1 yolk (beaten, added to beaten eggs)
- 1 1/2 cups/ 50g. almonds (ground)
- 2 tablespoons zest (lemon)
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tbsp. almonds (flaked)
- Garnish: icing sugar for dusting
Preheat the oven to 190°C/ 375°F/Gas 5
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured board to ¼ inch/5mm thick.
- Grease and then line an 8 inch/20cm deep tart tin with the pastry. Prick the base all over with a fork. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Line the tart case with baking/greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Cook for 15 minutes or until the pastry is a pale golden color. Remove the baking beans, cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Spread the raspberry jam onto the base of the pastry case, leave to one side.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale in color with an electric whisk. Beat the egg yolk into the beaten eggs and slowly add to the creamed butter and sugar a little at a time. Gently fold in the ground almonds, lemon zest and almond extract.
- Pour the mixture in to the pastry case and gently level the surface to ensure the whole case is filled. Bake for 30 minutes, remove from the oven, sprinkle on the flaked almonds and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes or until golden and set. Sprinkle with icing sugar whilst still warm.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||86 g|
|Saturated Fat||28 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||30 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|