Traditional Czech bread dumplings, houskový knedlík, are considered a part of the national culinary heritage.
For such an esteemed dish, they are quite simply made with flour, milk, eggs, and stale bread cubes which are formed into a loaf or roll, boiled, sliced and served.
They're perfect for soaking up lots of gravy and are typically served with roasted pork loin, roast pork with sauerkraut, roast goose and roast duck, chicken paprikash, roast beef and dill sauce, goulash and many other dishes.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 10 slices bread (about 4 cups good-quality white bread, crusts removed, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and milk. Pour into bowl with flour.
- Work the dough with a Danish dough whisk or your hands or by machine using the dough hook until it no longer sticks to the bowl. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Put a large stockpot or saucepan of salted water on to boil. Work the 4 cups of bread cubes into the batter until well incorporated.
- Using floured hands, shape the dough into three or four rolls that are about 8 inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide.
- When the water is boiling, carefully slip the rolls into the water, giving them a stir so they don't stick. Reduce heat, cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove one dumpling from the pot after 10 minutes of cooking and test for doneness by cutting through the middle of the dumpling with a thread or thin knife.
- If it is done, remove the dumplings one by one and slice into 3/4-inch pieces again with a thread or sharp knife. Repeat until all dumplings are removed from the water and sliced.
- Serve warm with gravy. To reheat leftover dumplings, place the slices in a steamer basket and steam a few minutes until soft. Leftovers are deliciously browned in butter and sprinkled with sugar as a special breakfast treat.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|