|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 37g||47%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||65%|
|Total Carbohydrate 42g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||23%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A savory chili-seasoned rub flavors this slow cooker roast. Feel free to use a chuck arm roast, a bottom round, or rump roast in place of the tri-tip. Give this roast at least an hour in the marinade before cooking.
The list of ingredients seems long, but most are spices you probably have in your pantry, and they add flavor to the dish. Avoid overcooking the tri-tip. It should still be sliceable when it's done.
Click Play to See This Recipe Come Together
- For the Rub Mixture
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tri-tip beef roast (about 3 pounds)
- For the Vegetables
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds medium potatoes (quartered or cut in 1 to 2-inch chunks)
- 1 large onion (cut into wedges)
- 4 large carrots (quartered or halved lengthwise, and cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano (or basil)
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup beef stock (preferably unsalted)
In a bowl combine the chili powder with the onion powder, chipotle powder (if using), 1/2 teaspoon of oregano, cumin, cayenne pepper, a dash of black pepper, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, and 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce.
Rub the tri-tip roast all over with the spice mixture.
Put it in a food storage bag. Refrigerate and let the roast marinate for 1 hour or overnight.
Put potatoes, onion, and carrots in a 6 to 7-quart slow cooker. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add the parsley, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon of oregano or basil, dill, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat thoroughly.
Place the tri-tip roast on the vegetables. Add 1/2 cup of beef stock.
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours, or on high for about 3 hours.
Move the meat to a cutting board and slice thinly. Serve the sliced meat with the vegetables and any of the braising liquids that have accumulated in the slow cooker.
- You can substitute the tri-tip with a pot roast cut. Just know that the dish might take a bit longer.