|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serve 8 to 10|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 61g||78%|
|Saturated Fat 35g||173%|
|Total Carbohydrate 69g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Nothing is more refreshing and satisfying than this Triple Lemon Layer Cake. Three cake layers, filled with a tangy lemon curd and a lemon coconut cream cheese icing make this dessert irresistible.
- Lemon Curd Filling:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg (at room temperature)
- 3 large egg yolks (at room temperature)
- 1/2 tablespoon zest (lemon)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (fresh)
- 1/2 stick/1/2 cup butter (unsalted)
- Lemon Cake:
- 3 sticks/1 1/2 cups butter (unsalted, at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons zest (lemon)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 1/4 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (fresh)
- Lemon-Coconut Frosting:
- 2 packages/16 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon zest (lemon)
Make the Lemon Curd Filling:
In a medium saucepan, whisk the sugar, eggs, and egg yolks until well blended.
Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and butter.
Cook, stirring often, over low to medium-low heat for about 10 minutes.
As the mixture begins to thicken, stir constantly, for 20 minutes more until it thickly coats the back of a metal spoon (don't boil or the mixture may curdle).
Strain the filling through a sieve set over a small bowl.
Lay a sheet of waxed paper or plastic directly on the surface of the filling and chill for at least 4 hours. The filling will thicken as it cools.
Bake the Cake:
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Lightly grease three 8-inch cake layer pans. Line the bottoms with waxed paper and lightly grease the paper.
Make the cake: In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, salt, and vanilla on medium speed until pale and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time and beating well after each addition.
With the mixer on low speed, add the flour alternately with the lemon juice, beating well after each addition.
Pour the batter into the prepared pans, dividing it evenly.
Bake until the tops spring back when gently pressed and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
Set the cakes in the pans on wire racks to cool for 20 minutes.
Turn the cakes out onto the racks and remove the waxed paper.
Make the Frosting:
In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, lemon juice, and sugar, and lemon zest with an electric mixer until smooth.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour, or until firm but spreadable.
Trim the top of the cake layers with a long serrated knife, cutting off any raised areas.
Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate.
Spread half the filling evenly over the layer.
Top with another cake layer and the remaining filling.
Top with the remaining cake layer.
Coat the top and sides with the frosting.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
• The cake layers can be wrapped well and refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 3 months.
• Store the cake at cool room temperature until serving time; then loosely cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.