This tuna noodle casserole is a classic comfort food. A little mayonnaise in the sauce flavors this version, along with some chopped pimiento and mushrooms.
If you like peas in your tuna casserole, add about 1 cup of frozen thawed peas to the mixture.
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter divided)
- 1 (7-ounce) can tuna (undrained, flaked)
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimiento
- 8 ounces noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Heat the oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas 4) . Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet or saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter; saute the onion and celery until the onion is translucent. Stir in tuna, soup, mayonnaise, milk, mushrooms, parsley, and pimiento.
- In the prepared casserole, combine the hot cooked noodles and the tuna mixture.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the bread crumbs.
- Top the casserole with the buttered bread crumbs.
- Bake the casserole for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly browned and the filling is hot and bubbling around the edges.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||43 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|