Risotto is wonderful comfort food; creamy and delicious. Adding good quality tuna to the dish updates it and adds great nutrition. Tuna Risotto is inexpensive, too, and kids will love it.
But if you want to splurge and make this recipe the best it can be, look for tuna packed in olive oil and imported from Italy. You can find this product online and in some large grocery stores. The tuna is very mild and has the most wonderful texture.
As with all risotto, the amount of liquid you add depends on how firm or liquid you like your risotto, as well as the age and dryness of the rice. All rice is different, depending on where it was grown and how long it was stored. You may need to add all of the chicken broth plus some extra. You can also add water instead of the extra broth. Read How to Make the Best Risotto for wonderful results every time.
Serve this dish with a green salad tossed with cherry tomatoes and sliced mushrooms, drizzled with a savory dressing. A glass of white wine is an excellent complement.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups arborio or long grain white rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups shredded fresh spinach
- 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 12 oz. can solid white tuna, drained
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in large skillet and add rice and garlic. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes until rice is coated with oil and starts to turn a bit golden in spots.
2. Add wine, pepper, and 1 cup chicken broth to the skillet. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook mixture for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed.
3. Add about 1/2 cup of the remaining broth, stirring rice until liquid is absorbed.
4. Continue until the rice is tender, and the risotto is the consistency you want.
5. Add lemon juice, spinach, lemon peel and tuna. Cook and stir gently until spinach is wilted.
6. Stir in butter until melted along with 1/2 cup cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and serve.
Fat: 13 grams
Carbs: 44 grams
Sodium: 1000 mg
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|