|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 60g||77%|
|Saturated Fat 29g||143%|
|Total Carbohydrate 18g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This turkey a la king is an easy recipe with leftover turkey and vegetables. Serve on toast, split baked biscuits, hot cooked rice, or noodles. It's great on puff pastry shells or cornbread wedges as well. For a low carb dish, serve turkey a la king with spaghetti squash, zucchini or summer squash noodles, or cauliflower rice.
You could also use chicken in the recipe, or add some ham to the turkey or chicken. It's also tasty with cooked frozen peas, cooked mixed vegetables, or canned or frozen artichokes.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- 4 to 6 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half (or milk)
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (2-ounce) jar pimiento (chopped)
- 2 1/2 cups of cooked turkey breast (cubed)
- Dash onion powder
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Gather the ingredients.
Melt the butter in a saute pan or medium saucepan over medium heat.
When the butter stops foaming, add the chopped green pepper and mushrooms. Cook, stirring for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and mushrooms are browned.
Remove the vegetables to a bowl with slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the flour to the pan; cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
Gradually add the half-and-half or milk and cream of mushroom soup. Stir until smooth and thickened.
Add the turkey and chopped pimiento to the pan along with the cooked green pepper and mushrooms. Add a dash of onion powder. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Blend well and heat through.
Serve and enjoy!
- Replace the turkey with diced chicken, tuna, shrimp, or ham, or use part turkey or chicken with some diced ham.
- Add about 1/4 cup of diced celery to the butter along with the mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Add 1/4 cup of chopped sweet onions or green onions (scallions) to the butter along with the mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Omit the green bell pepper or the mushrooms, if desired.
- Replace the mushrooms with quartered artichoke hearts (canned or frozen cooked).
- Add frozen cooked peas, a blend of peas and carrots, or mixed vegetables to the sauce along with the turkey.
- Replace the condensed cream of mushroom soup with condensed cream of chicken, cream of chicken with herbs, or cream of celery soup.
- Not a fan of condensed soup? Add 2 extra tablespoons of butter, 2 extra tablespoons of flour, and one cup of chicken stock. Omit the soup. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Replace the pimiento with drained and chopped roasted red peppers or omit them altogether.