This turkey a la king is an easy recipe with leftover turkey and vegetables. Serve on toast, split baked biscuits, hot cooked rice, or noodles. It's great on puff pastry shells or cornbread wedges as well. For a low carb dish, serve turkey a la king with spaghetti squash (pictured), zucchini or summer squash noodles, or cauliflower rice.
You could also use chicken in the recipe, or add some ham to the turkey or chicken. It's also tasty with cooked frozen peas, cooked mixed vegetables, or canned or frozen artichokes.
See the tips and variations for some extra flavor options and some substitution ideas, including how to make the sauce without the condensed soup.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 to 6 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half or milk
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 jar (2 ounces) pimiento, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cooked cubed turkey breast
- dash onion powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a saute pan or medium saucepan over medium heat.
- When the butter stops foaming, add the chopped green pepper and mushrooms. Cook, stirring for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and mushrooms are browned.
- Remove the vegetables to a bowl with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the flour to the pan; cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Gradually add the half-and-half or milk and cream of mushroom soup. Stir until smooth and thickened.
- Add the turkey and chopped pimiento to the pan along with the cooked green pepper and mushrooms. Add a dash of onion powder. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Blend well and heat through.
- Serve the creamy mixture over hot cooked rice, toast points, biscuits, puff pastry shells, spaghetti squash, cornbread wedges, or noodles.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the turkey with diced chicken, tuna, shrimp, or ham, or use part turkey or chicken with some diced ham.
- Add about 1/4 cup of diced celery to the butter along with the mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Add 1/4 cup of chopped sweet onions or green onions (scallions) to the butter along with the mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Omit the green bell pepper or the mushrooms, if desired.
- Replace the mushrooms with quartered artichoke hearts (canned or frozen cooked).
- Add frozen cooked peas, a blend of peas and carrots, or mixed vegetables to the sauce along with the turkey.
- Replace the condensed cream of mushroom soup with condensed cream of chicken, cream of chicken with herbs, or cream of celery soup.
- Not a fan of condensed soup? Add 2 extra tablespoons of butter, 2 extra tablespoons of flour, and one cup of chicken stock. Omit the soup. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Replace the pimiento with drained and chopped roasted red peppers or omit them altogether.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||60 g|
|Saturated Fat||29 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|