Meatloaf is one of America's favorite comfort foods. Vegetables and traditional meatloaf flavors highlight this ground turkey and beef combination. A tasty homemade barbecue sauce mixture is used to flavor meatloaf and make a tasty topping.
Processing the vegetables in the food processor helps them blend into the meatloaf nicely. This is a big plus if you have kids who hate seeing chunks of vegetables in their meatloaf. Feel free to vary the vegetables. Omit the mushrooms if you aren't a fan.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped or sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan or rectangular baking pan or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the beef and turkey in a large bowl with the eggs and bread crumbs. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the carrot, onion, garlic, and green pepper. Process until finely chopped.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the finely chopped vegetables and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, process the mushrooms until finely chopped. Add them to the vegetables and continue cooking for 1 minute. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, combine the tomato ketchup with the prepared mustard, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Add about three-quarters of the ketchup mixture to the meat and bread crumb mixture.
- Add the sauteed vegetables and mushrooms to the meat; mix until well blended.
- Pack the mixture into a loaf pan or shape into a free-form loaf in the rectangular baking pan.
- Bake the meatloaf for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Carefully pour off any excess grease. Spread remaining ketchup mixture over the loaf and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
Tips and Variations
- Mix the meatloaf with your hands or put the mixture in a large food storage bag. Knead the bag to blend the ingredients.
- You may mix a large meatloaf with the paddle attachment of a stand mixer; avoid over-mixing.
- To avoid clogged drains, pour the excess grease into an empty jar or container and dispose of it with the trash.
- Use all ground beef or make it with half ground beef and half lean ground pork.
- Leave the mushrooms out or replace them with more of the included vegetables.
- Add a rib or two of celery to the food processor along with the carrot and other vegetables.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|