This easy turkey divan casserole is a snap to prepare and to bake. All you need is leftover turkey (or any cooked turkey — you don't have to make it yourself!), cooked broccoli, a little Parmesan cheese, and a homemade cheese sauce.
The sauce is a simple white sauce made rich with an egg yolk and shredded cheddar cheese. This casserole can be made with cooked chicken as well. Or make the casserole with leftover sliced or diced ham.
Related Recipe: Turkey Pasta Casserole With Asparagus and Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 egg yolk,
- slightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 packages (10 ounces each)
- frozen broccoli spears, cooked and drained
- Sliced cooked turkey, about 1 pound, enough for 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons grated
- Parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in a 1- to 2-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk with the milk.
- Gradually whisk the milk and egg mixture into the flour and butter mixture.
- Return the saucepan to the heat. Add dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and begins to boil.
- Add cheddar cheese and cook, stirring, until cheese is melted.
- Arrange hot broccoli pieces and turkey in layers in a 2-quart baking dish.
- Spoon the cheese sauce between layers and over the top.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Broil the casserole (about 500 F) about 4 inches from heat until cheese is browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- For a lighter sauce mixture, omit the egg yolk and use low-fat milk.
If you liked Turkey Divan, try this recipe for Leftover Turkey and Stuffing Casserole.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|