If you're looking for a go-to recipe to bake turkey legs, this is the recipe for you. These turkey legs are baked to perfection, full of seasonings, and served with sliced vegetables for a healthy Southern meal that you can sink your teeth into.
- 2 to 3 pounds turkey legs with or without thighs
- half of 1 lemon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crumbled
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 to 3 carrots, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 ribs celery, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 to 2 large potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Heat the oven to 400° F (200° C/Gas 6).
- If thighs are attached, cut them away from the legs with a sharp knife. Rub the turkey pieces with the half lemon. Mix 1 teaspoon of the salt with the pepper, garlic powder, and thyme; rub over the surface of the turkey pieces.
- In a heavy skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Sauté onion in hot butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the carrot pieces, celery, potato, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, coating with the butter and onion mixture.
- Spread the vegetables evenly in a greased or sprayed 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Top with turkey pieces in a single layer. Heat wine in a saucepan just to the boiling point; pour over turkey.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours, or until the turkey pieces are tender, and the juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
- If it is becoming too browned, cover the baking pan with foil.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|