This easy and elegant open-faced sandwich recipe is a perfect way to use up leftover turkey at Thanksgiving or Christmas. For an easier version, get some bottled Alfredo sauce and make "Updated" Turkey Mornay!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoon flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup chicken broth or turkey broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups cooked turkey or chicken, sliced
- 4 English muffins, split with fork and toasted
- Heat butter in heavy saucepan. Add onion, garlic, and red pepper and cook and stir until tender.
- Sprinkle in flour, salt, pepper, and thyme and cook, stirring, until mixture bubbles. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and cream and stir well with wire whisk. Bring to boiling and cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir a small amount of sauce into the egg yolks to heat and temper. Stir tempered egg yolk mixture into the rest of the sauce and return saucepan to heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, whisking constantly. remove from heat and stir in cheeses. Stir until smooth and melted.
- Place sliced turkey or chicken on each split, toasted English muffin and pour sauce over each. Sprinkle with more cheese, if desired, and broil 4-7 minutes until lightly browned and bubbly. Watch this carefully while broiling!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||39 g|
|Saturated Fat||18 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|