This tasty turkey pie recipe is made with top and bottom crust, either purchased or homemade. Use leftover turkey in this pot pie, or make it with cooked diced chicken.
Feel free to use refrigerated pie pastry dough for this recipe if you don't have time to make homemade. Or make the pie without the bottom crust. Cover the entire top of the pie and cut small slits to allow steam to escape.
- 1 1/2 cups mixed vegetables (frozen peas and carrots, thawed under cold water)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 3/4 cups broth (turkey or chicken)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups turkey meat (cooked, diced, or chicken)
- 450g./14 1/2 oz. pastry dough (pastry for 9-inch two crust pie, prepared)
- Drain peas and carrots; set aside.
- Heat butter in 2-quart saucepan over low heat until melted. Stir in flour, onion, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat then stir in broth and milk. Place back on heat; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in turkey and vegetables.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Prepare pastry. Roll 2/3 of the pastry into a 13-inch square; ease into ungreased 9-inch baking pan.
- Pour the turkey filling mixture into the pastry-lined pan.
- Roll remaining pastry into 11-inch square; cut out designs with a small cookie cutter, if desired.
- Place square over the filling; turn edges under and crimp. If you did not cut out designs, cut small slits in several places so steam can escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the crust is golden brown, about 35 minutes.
Brush the top crust lightly with an egg wash made with 1 egg white mixed with 2 teaspoons of water. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||88 g|
|Saturated Fat||24 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||26 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|