After seeing a version of this recipe in a German cooking magazine, I knew as soon as I spied it, I would be tweaking it to share. The recipe is slightly adapted from the original. I cut the beets into heart shapes for Valentine's Day but you don't need a special occasion to do so.
This is a quick and easy salmon dish with beets, red onions, and blood oranges. The salmon is marinated in a timer, olive oil, garlic honey mixture, seared on the stove top then baked in the oven on top of marinated beet and red onions. Dramatic blood oranges and sprigs of cilantro garnish the dish and add extra flavor.
- 1 garlic clovekosher salt for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons plus one tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 pieces of salmon fillet (about 12 oz total)
- 1 15 ounce can red beets
- 2 red onions
- 2 blood oranges
- 1/3 cup raw almonds.
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Push the garlic through a garlic press or use a small sharp knife to mince the clove into small pieces.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons of the extra virgin olive oil, garlic pieces, honey, turmeric, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Season the salmon fillets with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper and place in a bowl. Halve the marinade. Set one-half aside. Use a pastry brush to coat the salmon fillets. Pour the excess marinade on top of the salmon fillets and gently toss to coat. Let the marinated salmon stand 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain the can of beets. Use a heart cutter, if you like, to create heart shapes. Reserve the scraps for future use in salads, etc. or discard. You may want to use kitchen gloves when handling the beets to prevent staining your hands.
- Peel the red onions and cut into rings.
- Place the beet slices or hearts and the raw red onion rings in a bowl.
- Pour the other half of the marinade over the beets and onions and toss to coat. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Transfer the beets and onions to the baking sheet. Spread them out on the parchment paper and bake for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut the blood orange in half. Cut each half into thin round slices, then cut the round slices in half.
- Heat the remaining extra-virgin olive oil in a medium sides skillet over high heat. Add the marinated salmon fillets and reserve the marinade in the bowl. Sear the salmon pieces on both sides.
- Remove the marinated roasted beets and onions from the oven. Lay the salmon on the baking sheet on top of the beets and onions. Pour the rest of the marinade over the top and bake for another 10-12 minutes, until the salmon has cooked through.
- Roughly chop the almonds and place them in a naked frying pan over medium heat. Stir them around until they are lightly toasted. This happens fast so do not turn your back on the pan or get distracted. Remove and set aside.
- Remove the salmon from oven, transfer everything to a serving platter, garnish with the toasted almonds. Tuck the cilantro leaves around the platter and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|