Did you know you can make sandwiches in your slow cooker? Well, you can make the hot filling in that appliance!
This easy Tuscan Chicken Sandwiches recipes with an Italian flair is cooked in your crockpot. The tender chicken thighs are combined with vegetables and cooked until tender, then mixed with mayonnaise, pesto, and tomatoes and served on a split focaccia bread.
This is a great recipe for entertaining because there's very little work to do at the end. Have the mayo and pesto mixed, and prepare the tomato and thaw the peas ahead of time; store them in the fridge.
All you need with this great recipe is a green salad or a fruit salad and some brownies for dessert.
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 1 tomato (seeded and chopped)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (thawed and drained)
- 1 focaccia bread (10" round or 12" square, split in half)
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a 4 to 5 quart slow cooker, place the chicken, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pour chicken broth over all. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, pesto, chopped tomato, and peas; blend well and refrigerate.
- When the chicken is thoroughly cooked to 165°F as tested with a meat thermometer, remove it from the crockpot and shred, using two forks. Return the chicken to crockpot and mix well.
- Make sandwiches with tomato pesto spread, focaccia bread, and the chicken filling. Slice the large sandwich into 6 to 8 wedges, and grill on a panini grill or dual contact grill until the bread is toasted. Serve immediately.