Eastern European Jews call this twice-baked cookie mandelbrot, but every country has its version. Italians have biscotti, Brits and South Africans have rusks, and beschuits (zwiebacks) are popular in the Netherlands. This buttery recipe is perfect dunked in coffee.
Although it's not necessary, you can drizzle melted white and melted semisweet chocolate on the finished cookies. Store them tightly covered. They will keep for weeks.
- 8 ounces room-temperature butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
Make the Dough
- Heat oven to 300 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream 8 ounces room-temperature butter and 1 cup sugar. Beat in 3 large eggs, one at a time. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and add to creamed mixture. Stir in 1 cup slivered almonds.
- Place dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour to make it easier to handle. Divide dough in half. Wet hands very lightly. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, form each dough half into a 3" x 11" log. Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from oven. Increase temperature to 325 F.
- Using a long metal spatula, lift biscotti logs onto wire racks and cool completely. Place on cutting board and cut diagonally with serrated knife or ham slicer into 3/4 inch slices.
- Place pieces cut-side down on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes. Turn pieces over and bake 10 minutes longer. Cool completely on wire racks.
Make the Drizzle
- Melt semisweet chocolate and white chocolate separately in the microwave. Using a fork, drip semisweet chocolate diagonally over cookies. Using a fork, drip white chocolate in the opposite direction over cookies.
- When chocolate is completely dry, store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|