Don't be fooled by the name - the sauce on these vegetarian and vegan noodles is less of a peanut sauce and more of an herbal cilantro dressing with plenty of tangy lime. If you like Asian flavors and love cilantro or just want to try a lighter peanut noodle sauce, these simple udon noodles dressed in a cilantro peanut sauce are a good place to start.
It may seem like you're adding a whole lot of cilantro, but remember, this is a cilantro peanut sauce with plenty of fresh cilantro flavor. If you're looking for a more conventional Thai peanut sauce, scroll down for a few recipes to try.
This recipe is vegetarian, though since it contains honey, it's not technically vegan. The sauce is gluten-free if you use a gluten-free soy sauce, but udon noodles are made from wheat, so choose a gluten-free noodle to make this dish celiac-safe.
I paired these cilantro udon noodles with some Korean bbq baked tofu.
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup peanut, safflower or olive oil
- 3 tbsp cup honey (or 2 tbsp brown sugar if you're cooking for vegans)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh minced ginger (about a 1-inch piece)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- chili sauce, to taste
- 1 full bunch cilantro
- 1 tbsp water, or as needed to get desired consistency
- 4 servings udon noodles, prepared
- Warm the peanut butter, oil and honey in a small sauce pan over medium low heat, stirring to combine, just until peanut butter has softened and ingredients are well combined.
- Place the peanut butter mixture, rice vinegar, lime juice, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and chili sauce in a blender or a food processor and process until well mixed. Add cilantro and pulse until cilantro is finely minced and ingredients are well combined, adding a bit of water if needed, to get the desired consistency. Taste, and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Combine sauce and udon noodles in a sauce pan over medium heat, stirring, just until well heated through, about five minutes.
- Garnish with an extra squeeze of lime juice or a dash of sea salt, if you'd like. Enjoy your cilantro peanut sauce with udon noodles!
Here's a few similar peanut noodle recipes to try:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||36 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||20 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|