What makes these meatball sandwiches stand out above the rest? Well for starters, its shape which is similar to kofta kebabs, allows the sandwich to hold together better. Second, it's served up on garlic bread.
- 3 pounds/1.3 kg ground beef
- 1/3 cup/80 mL masa flour (use breadcrumbs if preferred)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL sea salt flakes
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL black pepper
- 6 large metal skewers
- For Garlic Bread:
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 1 stick of butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL onion powder
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 1 jar prepared marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup/80 mL fresh basil, chopped
Gather the ingredients.
To prepare garlic bread. Mix together softened (not melted) butter together with garlic and onion powder, parsley, salt, and black pepper. Cut hoagie rolls lengthwise, if they are not pre-cut. Make sure not to cut all the way through. Keep the halves in tact. Slather butter mixture on both inside halves of bread. Place on large tray and set aside until later. You can store in fridge if making ahead of time.
Preheat grill for medium high heat. Combine meat with masa flour (or breadcrumbs), egg, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. Form into six 8" inch or 1/2 pound per skewer, kofta style kebabs. Make sure they are firmly packed around the skewer. Place onto large baking sheet before transferring to grill. Carefully place kebabs onto grill and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, gently turning every 3-4 minutes.
Toward the last 4 to 5 minutes of cooking, place garlic bread, butter side down onto grill grate. When nice and toasted, turn over and place two slices of cheese on each bun. Cook for an addition 1 to 2 minutes. Once cheese has melted, remove buns and kebabs (meat is done once it reaches an internal temperature of 165 F or 75 C) off the grill.
To assemble, place kebabs onto bun, top with a generous amount of warmed marinara sauce, and garnish with chopped basil.