|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 cocktail (serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 37g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||19%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The Union Square is one of the cocktails from New Amsterdam Gin that celebrate the spirit's namesake by honoring landmarks of modern-day New York City. It's an absolute delight and a perfect summertime cocktail that lets you enjoy an impressive and affordable gin.
A very garden-fresh recipe, the drink pairs fresh strawberries with basil and agave nectar for a very lively taste. It's a unique blend of flavors for a gin cocktail and it's very fun and interesting. Serve it at a summer barbecue or enjoy it after a long day of working in the garden—if the berries and basil come out of that garden, it's even better!
Gather the ingredients.
Add the gin, lemon and lime juices, and agave nectar.
Garnish with half a strawberry.
Serve and enjoy!
- Be sure to rinse the strawberries and basil under cold water to remove any debris.
- Remove the stem of the strawberries and cut them into quarters to make muddling more efficient.
- When muddling basil, it's helpful to tear the leaves before adding them to the shaker. This will wake up the herb's essence and make the drink more flavorful.
- Since this cocktail is focused on fresh ingredients, it really is best with fresh citrus juices. One lime should yield enough juice for one, possibly two, drinks and one lemon can make up to three drinks.
- If your basil is beginning to wilt, preserve its flavor by making basil simple syrup. That can then be used in place of the agave nectar. The same can be done with strawberry syrup.
- Substitute the strawberries with raspberries, blackberries, or blueberries. You can even combine a few types of berries for a custom mix.
- Serve this drink tall and add some sparkle, if you like. Strain it into a highball glass over ice, then top it with your favorite soda or sparkling wine. A sparkling rosé would be lovely because the pink wine tends to have flavor notes of strawberry and watermelon.
- Rather than basil, try this drink with fresh mint.
- Pour rum, tequila, or vodka rather than gin if you prefer.