|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This is an easy way to enjoy stuffed pepper flavors, and because the prep work is so simple, the recipe takes about half the time. The casserole is made with ground beef, rice, tomatoes, and cheese, along with peppers and seasonings. The casserole is made with all of the familiar ingredients you would expect from classic baked stuffed peppers.
2 large bell peppers were used for the pictured dish, one green and one red- but you could use more.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 large bell peppers, cut in 1-inch squares
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon celery flakes, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese or Cheddar Jack blend
Heat the oven to 350 F.
Lightly grease a 3-quart baking dish.
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef with the onion and celery for 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper, salt, freshly ground black pepper, celery flakes, if using, oregano, basil, and garlic powder. Continue sautéing until the vegetables are tender and the meat is no longer pink.
Add the tomatoes to the beef, along with half of the tomato sauce and the Worcestershire sauce. Stir to blend. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and half of the cheese.
Spoon the meat mixture into the prepared baking dish. Spoon the remaining tomato sauce evenly over the top, then sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly.