Here's how to use half of the box of cake mix to make a smaller cake. Save the rest for another time! This easy recipe is a good choice if you have a smaller family, or if you only need to make a small cake for another recipe, such as a trifle or cake pops.
You can customize this recipe by stirring in a small amount of other ingredients; about half a cup. You could add some chocolate chips, nuts, dried cherries or cranberries, sprinkles, or anything else you'd like.
- 1-3/4 cups mix from an 18-ounce box of cake mix
- 2/3 cup liquid, either water or milk or fruit juice
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8" square or round cake pan with nonstick baking spray containing flour and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the cake mix, liquid, oil, and egg; mix until combined, then beat for 1 minute at medium speed. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. The cake should also be pulling away from the sides of the pan.
4. Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack, then frost or dust with powdered sugar. I myself like to use a whole can of ready-to-spread frosting on this small cake!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|