- Vanilla Cake:
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, 6 ounces
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda, preferably aluminum-free
- 4 ounces butter (8 tablespoons), softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Chocolate Frosting:
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate (2 ounces)
- 8 ounces confectioners' sugar, about 2 1/2 cups
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan, or spray with a nonstick baking spray with flour. Heat the oven to 375°.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; whisk to blend thoroughly.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- Stir in about one-third of the flour mixture and about half of the buttermilk, beating until blended. Add another one-third of the flour mixture and the remaining buttermilk. Beat until well blended. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat for 2 minutes.
- Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the cake is browned and a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove and cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Carefully turn out onto a plate. Frost the top and sides.
- For the Frosting
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water, stirring constantly. Set aside to cool for about 5 minutes. Add the confectioners' sugar*, softened butter, and vanilla to the melted chocolate and beat on low speed until blended. Gradually add the milk, beating constantily with the mixer on medium-low speed until creamy and well blended. Frost the sides and top of the vanilla cake. *If your confectioners' sugar seems to clump, sift after measuring.
- Makes one cake, about 8 to 10 servings, depending on size of the slices.
Vanilla Sour Cream Pound Cake
Sour cream adds richness and great texture to this great0tasting pound cake. Bake this cake in a tube cake pan or Bundt cake pan.
Vanilla Whoopie Pies With Creamy Chocolate Filling
These whoopie pies are always a favorite, and a nice change from the typical chocolate cakes. The delicious filling is made with cocoa and cream.
Cream Cheese Pound Cake
This simple pound cake formula makes a rich and heavenly pound cake. Serve the cake with a dessert sauce, fruit, or a vanilla or chocolate icing.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|