Vanilla caramels blend two classic tastes in this old-fashioned favorite. One cup chopped nuts can be added for variety, and vanilla extract can be substituted if vanilla paste is unavailable.
- 2 cups sugar (granulated)
- 2 cups half and half
- 1.75 cups corn syrup (light)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract (or, preferably, vanilla paste)
- Prepare an 8-inch square baking pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the sugar, half and half, corn syrup, butter and salt in a large saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture starts boiling.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches 244 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Immediately pour into the prepared pan.
- Allow to set at room temperature until completely firm.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour, and then cut with an oiled chef’s knife into small squares.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|