Vanilla caramels blend two classic tastes in this old-fashioned favorite. One cup chopped nuts can be added for variety, and vanilla extract can be substituted if vanilla paste is unavailable.
- 2 cups sugar (granulated)
- 2 cups half and half
- 1.75 cups corn syrup (light)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract (or, preferably, vanilla paste)
1. Prepare an 8-inch square baking pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine the sugar, half and half, corn syrup, butter and salt in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture starts boiling.
3. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches 244 degrees on a candy thermometer.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Immediately pour into the prepared pan.
5. Allow to set at room temperature until completely firm. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour, and then cut with an oiled chef’s knife into small squares.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|