A good Chantilly cream recipe is essential to every French kitchen. This rich whipped cream infused with vanilla extract is a classic embellishment to French pastry, génoise cakes (sponge cakes), and tarts.
In essence, all it is a sweetened whipped cream with vanilla added (some recipes use liqueurs in place of vanilla—see the variations below). It's a snap to make if you know how.
- 2 cups heavy cream (30 percent milk fat)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon good-quality vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract together on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Use as your recipe directs. Chill any unused Chantilly cream.
If you like a flavored whipped cream, now is the time to pull out all those fancy liqueurs you received for Christmas. Some popular ones to combine with whipped cream include amaretto, cassis, brandy, Curacao, Grand Marnier, Irish cream, rum, and more.
Let your creativity be your guide.
If you're a teetotaler, try one of the many Italian cordial syrups used in coffee drinks. Popular brands include Sonoma, Da Vinci, Torani, Giffard, Stasero, Fontana, and Monin.
One word of caution is to start slowly, perhaps 1 tablespoon of either a liqueur or nonalcoholic syrup at a time until you've reached the desired flavor.
You Also Might Like
- Pineapple Whipped Cream Dessert Recipe: This creamy dessert features pineapple tidbits, marshmallows, cherries, and whipped cream, topped with toasted almonds.
- How to Make Stabilized Whipped Cream: You can make this whipped cream a day in advance because it is made with a little-unflavored gelatin and will keep its shape and not start to separate or weep.
- Italian Mille-Feuille Pastry with Zabaglione Cream Filling Recipe: Light, flaky puff pastry layered with rich zabaglione cream, mascarpone, whipped cream, or chocolate cream, or a combination. Zabaglione is made with egg yolks and Marsala wine, mixed with whipped cream, for a billowy, decadent filling.
- Hungarian Raspberry-Cream Roulade Recipe: This raspberry whipped cream roll, also known as a roulade or Swiss roll of a sponge cake filled with canned raspberry filling, whipped cream, cream cheese and fresh raspberries.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||86 g|
|Saturated Fat||55 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|