This rich vanilla custard sauce is a custard-like sauce with a hint of cinnamon. The creamy vanilla sauce mixture is a custard-like sauce thickened with flour and an egg. Feel free to omit the cinnamon or nutmeg and add a tablespoon or two of rum or spiced rum.
The sauce is an excellent topping for fresh fruit, bread pudding, pound cake, and other desserts.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- pinch ground nutmeg or cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk or half-and-half
- dash salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar, flour, nutmeg or cinnamon, the egg, melted butter, milk, and salt. Whisk until well blended and then place the pan over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.*
Place a mesh sieve over a bowl and strain the sauce through it. Refrigerate until serving time.
Serve with bread pudding, cake, or similar desserts.
*dip a spoon in the thickened mixture and turn it over. Run a finger down the back of a spoon. If the mixture does not run into the path your finger made, the sauce is done.
- For a richer and creamier sauce, use light cream, whipping cream, or heavy cream in the sauce.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of good quality rum to the sauce along with the vanilla.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|