Use this easy thin icing for pound cake, a Bundt cake, or cookies.Thin the icing as much or as little as you like to make a spreadable or drizzling consistency.
"I made this icing and thought it was wonderful. I drizzled it on my Amish Cinnamon Bread and it was really Yummy! Loved the vanilla in the recipe." — Dee
Below the recipe you'll find some tips and variations for this icing along with more reader comments and suggestions.
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sift before measuring
- 2 tablespoons butter, soft
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Combine all icing ingredients in small mixing bowl. Stir until smooth and well blended.
- Adjust for spreading consistency if necessary, adding more milk or more confectioners' sugar.
- Spread the icing or drizzle on warm cookies, Bundt cake, muffins, or pound cake.
Tips and Variations
- Orange Icing: Replace the vanilla and milk with orange juice and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of finely grated orange zest.
- Lemon Icing: Replace the milk and vanilla with fresh lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon of finely grated lemon zest. Add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract, if desired.
- If desired, sprinkle the iced cake or dessert with cinnamon sugar, chopped nuts, or toasted coconut before the icing sets.
- For cupcakes, doughnuts, or muffins, it might be easier to dip them in the icing.
- When glazing a cake, place it on a rack over a sheet of wax paper or foil to catch the drips.
- Extra icing may be frozen in freezer containers or zip-close freezer bags. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight.
Reader Comments and Suggestions
... "I used the juice from a jar of maraschino cherries. I put in enough to make it taste like cherry, and thickened the consistency with confectioners sugar, and used only three tablespoons of milk. Can't wait to use this again!" — R.B.
"This icing has the perfect taste and consistency to drizzle over Christmas breads." — J.L.
"This icing mixes up in mere moments and was perfect. Adjust the consistency to your own needs by adding more milk for a glaze or more sugar for a stiffer icing." — Jewel
"This is a great icing for fruit pizza- add about a tablespoon of cream cheese and it's fantastic." — A.D.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|