These basic vanilla muffins contain a simple combination of butter, sugar, and eggs, along with a generous amount of vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste. The muffins are super easy to prepare and bake.
The muffins are wonderful with preserves or marmalade or drizzle the cooled muffins with a tablespoon of vanilla glaze if you want a fancier look.
- 4 cups/18 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons butter (melted)
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 400 F.
Grease 24 muffin cups or line them with paper cupcake liners.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir to mix thoroughly.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla.
Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients. With a spoon, mix thoroughly.
Spoon into greased or paper-lined muffin tins.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. A dark pan will take less time than a light colored pan.
Serve and enjoy!
- To keep your muffins uniform in size, use a 1/4-cup measuring cup or scoop to measure an equal amount of batter into each muffin cup.
- Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with cinnamon sugar or maple flakes.
- Fill the muffin cups a few tablespoons of batter and then add about 1 to 2 teaspoons of preserves. Top the preserves with the remaining batter.
- Drizzle the cooled muffins with vanilla glaze.
- Serve with raspberry or strawberry preserves, marmalade, or your favorite jam.
- Use vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla extract.
- If you crave more texture in your muffins, add 1 cup of mini chocolate chips or chopped pecans, or add 1/2 cup of each.