This is the basic, classic version of the sables cookie recipe. It can be varied in so many ways, from adding a flavored cream filling to spicing the batter. Make your own signature sable recipe or enjoy it the traditional way - as comforting vanilla sables.
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 10 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sugar (granulated)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Egg Wash:
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a medium bowl mix the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix in the dry ingredients until a smooth dough forms.
- Form the dough into a disk shape or 2-inch diameter log.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Prepare the egg wash by beating together the egg white and 2 teaspoons of water.
- Roll out the disk of dough to ¼-inch thickness, and cut out the sables using a 2-inch fluted cookie cutter.
- If using a log of cookie dough, slice it crosswise into ¼-inch thick coins.
- Brush the sables with the egg wash, and bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 15 minutes, or until they are lightly browned around the edges.
- Cool the sables for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|